Saturday, December 20, 2014

Mallow Coconut Fudgies


I remember the days when neighbors would bring each other homemade gifts for Christmas. While this is still relavent in smaller communities, this is scarce when living in a large city. Yet I like to make the effort to give within our little circle some homemade yummies this year.


One day, when I was shopping at Publix, I shopped at the perfect time. It was one of those rare instances where an employee cooks and gives out samples of the recipes they have in stock. I always arrive too late or too early, so this was a fun instance. After we got our complimentary cookie from the bakery for my toddler, we headed over to find them making Mallow Nut Fudgies. For someone who is not a huge fan of chocolate, this treat surprised me. It was delicious. I could taste marshmallows,  pistachio, and candy cane?? I needed this recipe.

After getting the recipe from the stand of Publix Aprons recipe stand, i looked for the ingredients. Hubby is not a fan of pistachio, so I decided to switch up the recipe a bit. Instead of adding pistachios, I added shredded coconut and hemp seeds. These little Fudgies are perfect for making and giving away as a Christmas treat! And it only took me a total of 30 minutes in the kitchen, aside from chilling it for an hour.






Mallow Coconut Fudgies
Ingredients
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
12 oz semisweet chocolate morsels
4 oz milk chocolate morsels
1 bag of Deli white chocolate & peppermint pretzel crisps, crushed
1/3 cup coconut flakes
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/3 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
Sheets of wax paper or pastry paper

Instructions
1. Preheat medium saucepan on medium high. Melt the butter in the saucepan and reduce the heat to low. Add the chocolate morsels and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
2. Crush the pretzels into tiny little pieces, about the size of dimes.  Add them to the melted chocolate along with the marshmallows.
3. Place two sheets of wax paper (I used two pastry paper) on the counter and transfer the chocolate mix onto the paper. With a spatula, spread the mix. Make sure that there everything has a good amount of everything. Then sprinkle the coconut flakes on top.
4. Start rolling the mixture into a roll. With the paper, it should look like a huge tootsie roll. I squeezed it to make it long and about 2 inches thick. Open up the paper and sprinkle the Hemp Hearts on top and on the sides. You can sprinkle coconut flakes here too if you'd like.
5. Chill for an hour, or until firm. Cut into 1/4  to 1/2 inch slices with a serrated knife.

These little Fudgies have so many flavors,  and are perfect for Christmas! You can taste the marshmallows and peppermint candy canes. I packed 5 to 6 little pieces per box to give away.


The pretzels were a little difficult to find, so I asked an employee who directed me to the right place.


As a revision in the future, I will make the roll longer and about 1 inch in diameter.  This will allow me to cut more pieces. Perfect for bite size dessert at a holiday party!

Don't forget to leave some love! Comments, Likes, and shares are always loved. You can pin this recipe too! 

What would you like to add to this recipe to make it more festive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...