Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fresh Almond Milk

When you have a kid with allergies,  you quickly go through products to see what works and what doesn't. Many times I come across products that work great for my son, but doesn't really taste great for me. Almond milk is one of those products.


Aiden absolutely loves Blue Diamond Almond Milk, but it doesn't taste great in recipes. I find the flavor too sweet for my taste, so I have opted to make my own.
I thought making nut milk would be a difficult thing but I found it was quite easy. 

The only difficult part is remembering to soak the almonds in advance, which for someone with short term memory problems, is quite a task



Things needed for Almond Milk
1 cup raw almonds
Water
Vanilla extract (optional)
Nut milk bag or multiple cheese cloths


Ingredients

1. Soak the raw almond in water for at least 24 hours.
2. Discard the water. Place the almonds in a high powered blender or food processor.
3. Add 4 cups filtered water, and blend until well blended.


4. With a bowl underneath, pour all contents into nut bag and squeeze gently until everything is separated.


5. Add vanilla drops and sugar to taste.


I hear that you can make almond flour with the remains, but I have not tried that yet. Instead I folded them into banana bread dough and baked it!

I used a Nut Milk Bag. You can find it here on Amazon.

Aside from having the almonds soaking for 24 - 48 hours, it only takes about 10 minutes to make in the kitchen. Also, almond milk does not have to be stored in the fridge, unless you like it cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...